|Job Title:||Systems Engineer|
|Salary:||£40 - £45 per hour|
|Contact Name:||Paul Martin|
|Job Published:||October 12, 2017 10:53|
The Systems Engineer will provide systems engineering support to Systems projects. The Systems Engineer will operate as a key member of the project team bringing experience in safety/systems engineering to the team. The Systems Engineer will also support bid work by scoping the systems engineering tasks for the proposed work.
- Responsible for supporting the safety/systems engineering aspects of projects.
- Responsible for drafting and estimating the systems engineering aspects of bid work.
- Responsible for applying appropriate systems engineering practice on projects.
- Responsible for supporting representations of project systems engineering to the project customer community.
Held to account
To the Chief Systems Engineer for providing effective and practical safety systems engineering solutions for the project and the customer and representing Ultra Electronics in a professional and ethical manner with both customers and suppliers.
Key activities for the role
- Supporting the engineering team to provide the best solutions for the customer base.
- Produce concise and accurate technical reports, requirements specifications and associated documentation as required to meet the specific needs of the project.
- Support the safety/systems technical authority in the business area for the proposed solutions and be prepared to justify safety/systems solutions to senior management, the customer and ultimately the regulator, the Health and Safety Executives Office of Nuclear Regulation (ONR).
- The review and verification of technical reports, drawings and designs for safety/ systems, functionality and compliance with ONR Safety Assessment Principles (SAPs).
- Supporting the delivery of safety/system solutions to the customer to the right quality on time and to agreed costs.
- To provide technical support to project managers on systems engineering issues.
- To provide systems engineering subject matter expertise to represent the business with customers, suppliers and other industry groups, including presenting work and concepts in appropriate public forums.
- To ensure all work in this area is carried out ethically, safely and in accordance with the relevant standards and best practice within the nuclear industry.
- Responsible for ensuring personal compliance with appropriate company policies and procedures in carrying out tasks.
- Responsible for the identification to the engineering leadership of the need for changes to existing processes or the introduction of new processes as required in the safety/systems engineering domain.
- To work with the company quality assurance team to ensure changes to safety/systems engineering processes and new processes are effectively introduced and rolled out with minimum disruption to normal business.
- Customer's project and technical personnel
- Project Managers
- Project team members
- Technical Director
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Business Unit Chief Engineers
- Technical Leads
- Project Engineers
Qualifications / skills required
- Degree qualified engineer, preferably in electrical/electronic engineering or IT/computer systems.
- Chartered Engineer with membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant institution would be an advantage.
- Experience of safety/systems engineering or design and in a safety regulated industry.
- Knowledge of safety system design in accordance with IEC 61508 or similar safety standards (IEC 61513, IEC 61226).
- Good knowledge of systems engineering processes, standards and methodologies (e.g., IEC 15288, UML).
- Good knowledge of systems engineering tools such as DOORS, EA, Teamwork.
- Ability to communicate effectively across a broad range of technical and business disciplines within industry.
- Ability to work with multiple tasks, set priorities and make decisions.
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with the ONR SAPs and TAGs would be an advantage.
- Safety and quality focus as a primary requirement of all aspects of the role and able to support and promote a safety culture in the systems team. Able to display a knowledge and understanding of safety system design when dealing with customers and other parts of the business.
- Confidence in own knowledge and able to understand, discuss rationally and develop the concepts and ideas generated by others within project team and the business.
- Capable of making judgments and decisions when necessary and justifying those decisions when required.
- Controlled, focused and not easily distracted or diverted from the primary objectives of the project team.
- Capable of taking responsibility for given tasks or parts of a project.
The role will be supervised by the Principal Systems Engineer/Systems Team Lead.
The systems engineer would expect to provide specialist support in all phases on the project to various IPTs and specialist teams
Technical support and guidance to junior team members may be required from time to time. The role has no formal line management duties but would be expected to lead the systems engineering part of development for a given projcet.
Flexible working: normal place of work is the Wimborne, Doreset, site. Occasional working at other sites and customer sites in the UK and internationally.
Astute Technical Recruitment Limited are acting as an employment agency in relation to this vacancy. We do not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and comply with all relevant UK legislation. We encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to work in the UK.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
£28000.00 - £33000.00 per annum
£30 - £40 per hour
£30.00 - £35 per hour
Mechanical Design Engineer
£28000.00 - £33000.00 per annum
Technical Sales Engineer
Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham
£30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum