Site Inspector (Roads & Highways)
Salary - Negotiable
The Site Inspector will ensure that new roads and works to existing highway assets are laid out and constructed in accordance with approved drawings, and to OCC and national design/construction standards and specifications. The Site Inspector will also assist the Principal Engineer in ensuring that high quality highway infrastructure is delivered and adopted as new highway assets. As Site Inspector you will assist in management of County wide construction site inspection programme to ensure that all development sites are inspected on a regular basis and to co-ordinate the work of Assistant Site Inspector.
Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Undertake inspection of construction works associated with new developments subject to Section 38, Section 278 and private road agreements, to ensure that works are in compliance with both County Council and national design standards;
- Autonomously carry out all aspects of construction site inspection of works in progress, including checking of setting out, checking compliance of both materials and workmanship with technically approved drawings and specification;
- Make decisions on site that will directly reflect the legal position of Oxfordshire County Council in relation to enforcing Section 278 agreements. This in relation of formal notification to the developer of errors and defects, suspension of works and variation & additions.
- Respond to the changing priorities of individual construction sites, resulting in re-programming of work load plan, without recourse to line manager.
- Identify when construction material testing is required and arrange same accordingly, to ensure construction material used on site meet the appropriate national standards;
- Plan and independently manage own site inspection programme to ensure that all construction sites are monitored to the appropriate standard;
- Plan and co-ordinate county wide site inspection programme to ensure balanced work-load of both Site Inspectors in Road Agreements Team;
- Oversee work load and output of Site Inspector to ensure uniformity in site inspection routine and that county wide site inspection is managed concisely.
- Act as County Council representative on new development (Section 38) and existing asset highway schemes (Section 278) to provide sound advice to developers, contractors and consultants in relation to highway infrastructure construction techniques and standards, such that Oxfordshire County Council requirements are met;
- Maintain effective site records electronically, to record measurements taken, photographs and relevant diary entries for each site;
- Assist with carrying out detailed pre-condition surveys of existing highway asset, to include recording of all survey information electronically;
· Ensure that all works carried out within the existing highway network and in association with Section 278 agreements comply with the County Councils Health & safety Policies together with nationally recognised statutory controls and report/take enforcement action as appropriate;
- City & Guilds Street Works Excavation & Reinstatement (supervisor level)(New Roads & Streetworks Act 1991)
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme (minimum of Operative Level)
- Significant experience in civil engineering construction related industry
- ONC in Civil engineering Studies or equivalent qualification
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme (Supervisor/management level)
- Site Management Safety Scheme qualification (CITB - Site Safety Plus Certificate)
- Basic understanding of section 38, 278 and 219 of the Highways Act and how they apply to construction site supervision
To apply please contact Kyle Ward on 02393 911 227 or alternatively, send a copy of you CV to Kward@astutetechnical.co.uk
Astute Technical Recruitment Limited are acting as an employment agency in relation to this vacancy. We do not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and comply with all relevant UK legislation. We encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to work in the UK and Europe. Astute is also committed to the government's Disability Confident Employer initiative. We endeavour to get back to everyone, however, if you have not heard anything after 7 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.