Senior Sustainability Officer
Rate - £28.31/Hour
Contract - 4 Months
The Senior Sustainability Officer will be responsible for developing a borough-wide environmental sustainability strategy for a Local Council and a corporate action plan for their own estate and operations, focusing on a range of environmental issues including carbon reduction and energy efficiency, climate change adaption, air quality, circular economy, green economy, sustainable travel and ecology. The Senior Sustainability Officer will also need to develop and deliver environmental sustainability programmes and projects across the corporate estate and the domestic, business and community sectors. The Senior Sustainability Officer will have to liaise with statuary environmental bodies including government departments, GLA, Tfl, the environmental agency and the West London Waste Authority.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Co-ordinate the development and delivery of the Council's borough-wide environmental sustainability strategy.
- Design and deliver effective environmental sustainability initiatives in partnership with residents, businesses, schools, community groups and other partners in Brent.
- Lead on the development of corporate initiatives such as a corporate travel plan, fleet policies and a sustainable procurement policy, tools and checklist.
- Help embed environmental sustainability in corporate policies, service delivery and operations across the Council.
- Engage a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including directors, senior managers, elected members, other Council staff, schools, community groups, businesses, professional bodies, partner organisations and government functions on all matters relating to development and delivery of borough-wide and corporate environmental sustainability strategy.
- Continually review, monitor and drive improvement in the performance of environmental initiatives against Borough Plan and other corporate targets.
- Ensure that Brent fulfils EU, national and regional legal, regulatory and policy requirements in relation to environmental services and sustainability.
· A relevant degree or professional qualification
· Detailed knowledge and understanding of environmental sustainability issues (climate change mitigation and adaptation, waste and recycling, air quality, green space and biodiversity, energy efficiency and fuel poverty), including relevant legislation, policy and best practice in an urban setting
· Experience of devising and delivering area-wide and corporate environmental sustainability strategies, policies and initiatives, with tangible results
· Experience of establishing effective multi-agency partnerships
· Experience of leading multi-disciplinary teams to achieve significant, sustainable improvements and positive outcomes through internal and external partnerships
· Ability to provide in-depth policy analysis and advice
To apply please contact Kyle Ward on 02393 911 227 or alternatively, send a copy of you CV to Kward@astutetechnical.co.uk
Astute Technical Recruitment Limited are acting as an employment agency in relation to this vacancy. We do not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and comply with all relevant UK legislation. We encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to work in the UK and Europe. We endeavour to get back to everyone, however, if you have not heard anything after 7 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.