Principal Transport Planner
Rate - Negotiable
Contract - 3 Months
As a Principal Transport Planner, you will be responsible for the provision of expert advice on strategic transport issues. This role has a focus on the development of transport strategy, including delivery of a new Local Transport Plan. As well as developing emerging transport policy and strategy the work of the Principal Transport Planner will help to shape a number of high-profile pieces of work. You will engage and consult with members, external stakeholders and residents on transport planning issues addressing varied and complex queries/issues raised.
You will sit within the Transport Planning Team, and be responsible for:
- In conjunction with the Strategic Transport Lead and Transport Planning Team Manager, developing the strategic transport planning and policy framework for the city's transport
- Support the development of the new Local Transport Plan and any related transport strategies
- Taking a lead role in contributing to the development, review and ongoing assessment of the Local Transport Plan and in particular to be responsible for the annual review of key sections within the Plan.
- Provide transport input into other council strategies being developed by other departments
- Provide input to and represent Portsmouth City Council at Solent Transport, Transport for South East and other external partnership bodies as required. Provide technical transport planning advice to internal and external clients as required.
- Advise and guide Transport Planners, by providing technical expertise and experience in solving more complicated problems. Acts as a role model and take on some responsibility for supervising work of others on particular projects. Provides training for others.
- Respond to and deal with transport planning queries raised by members of the public, Councillors and other stakeholders.
- Advance the provision of public and active transport within the city through the development of effective working relationships with operators, other local authorities and key stakeholders.
- Relevant degree level education OR demonstrable equivalent professional experience is essential;
- Membership of a professional body is desirable
- Communicates messages (which may be complicated or sensitive) clearly, concisely and at a level appropriate to the audience, who may not be specialists in transport planning.
- Has the proven ability to represent the service with direction at highly challenging internal/ external meetings, with integrity and confidence
- Experience of working in with politically sensitive or potentially controversial issues
- Experience of dealing with financial and budget management
- Well-developed project delivery skills, including skills for coordination, liaison and the ability to plan and monitor project plans in order to achieve major projects on time and within budget
To apply please contact Kyle Ward on 02393 911 227 or alternatively, send a copy of you CV to Kward@astutetechnical.co.uk
Astute Technical Recruitment Limited are acting as an employment agency in relation to this vacancy. We do not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and comply with all relevant UK legislation. We encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to work in the UK and Europe. Astute is also committed to the government's Disability Confident Employer initiative. We endeavour to get back to everyone, however, if you have not heard anything after 7 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.