Environmental Advisor (Rad)
Role Set and Spot Point
Specialist Set, Spot Point 46
Purpose of Role
Developing and maintaining the arrangements for compliance with statutory and Company requirements, including RSA, for environmental and waste disposal processes.
- Provide authoritative advice on environmental and waste matters.
- Support Best Practical Means (BPM/BAT), Best Practical Environmental Options (BPEO) and ALARP assessments for projects as appropriate.
- Ensure that work is progressed in compliance with the Magnox Safety rules (Radiological) and the IRR as appropriate, where the individual is designated as an Accredited Health Physicist.
- Advise on and review routine and non-routine technical surveys and tests to monitor radiological conditions and specification of compliance monitoring to meet legal requirements as appropriate for ariel and liquid discharge authorisations.
- Prepare, advise and comply with documentation to meet environmental requirements at the site (this will include the issue and update of Health Physics Certificates where the individual is designated as an Accredited Health Physicist, Radiological Risk Assessments, Environmental assessments, Compliance audits etc as appropriate.
- Advise on and develop methods of decontamination and waste minimisation ensuring waste volume and discharges satisfy BPM/BAT as appropriate.
- Advise on the environmental and/or radioactive waste aspects in the preparation of Safety Case submissions, strategy documents and other site and company documents.
- Provide advice to Senior Authorised Persons (NR) on environmental / waste safety requirements as appropriate.
- Produce and maintain the consent under the Environmental Impact (EIAD) regulations, including environmental impact assessments.
- Maintain ISO 14001 certification as appropriate.
- Maintain the required regulatory approvals as appropriate.
- Develop and manage the Site Improvement Plan for environmental management.
- Manage the collection, analysis and reporting of site discharges and radioactive disposals as appropriate ensuring compliance with the site's Certificate of Authorisation and Compilation of Environment Agency / Scottish Environmental Protection Agency Requirements.
- Carry out team supervision and project management activities as required.
- Undertake the role of Accredited Health Physicist / Radiation Protection Advisor if SQEP and appointed to do so.
- Ensure personal and professional development and training of EHSS&Q staff to deliver an effective and suitably qualified and experienced Function.
- Ensure effective communication within the Function.
- Monitor performance and take action or provide advice as necessary to maintain environmental standards and improve performance.
- Identify good practice in performance at sites and externally, and promote and deploy across the Functions/Sites.
- Provide expert-level advice, support and guidance on environmental issues throughout the Site.
- Act for the Site Head of Environment.
- The post holder may be required to be a member of, and participate in, the Site Emergency Scheme subject to any fitness standards required.
- Comply with the Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality policies, procedures, work instructions and risk assessments. Support the continuous improvement of Health, Safety Environment and Quality on Site.
- As a customer-focused individual, the post holder will be expected to support delivery within his or her range of skills, knowledge, experience and competence.
- Undertake baseline roles as required.
- Contribute to the effective development and delivery of training within own area of specialism.
- Assist with managing the relevant aspects of the Detail Volume, SPI/CPI, and commercial and financial aspects as required for delivery of the lifetime plan.
- Review and audit of site performance in environmental management.
Where this role requires supervisory responsibility the following key duties will apply;
- Effective team leadership through; People Management, Performance Management, Control and Supervision, Communications, Resource Management and Management of Systems and Processes.
- Assigning tasks to the team members ensuring they are Suitably Qualified and Experienced (SQEP) to carry out such tasks.
- Responsible for team/ individual development plans and ensuring training is carried out.
- Ensuring all team members receive the support necessary to both understand and contribute to achieving the objectives of the Department Lifetime Plan.
- Regularly undertake team briefings to ensure staff are well informed regarding both technical and administrative matters concerning the execution of their responsibilities.
- The design, delivery and evaluation of training, acting as coach and mentor.
Astute Technical Recruitment Limited are acting as an employment agency in relation to this vacancy. We do not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and comply with all relevant UK legislation. We encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to work in the UK and Europe. Astute is also committed to the government's Disability Confident Employer initiative. We endeavour to get back to everyone, however, if you have not heard anything after 7 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.