Electrical Engineer - Construction
Bristol / HPC
I have an incredible opportunity for an electrical engineer with experience of complex construction tasks to join the team responsible for managing the delivery of one of the largest scale projects in Europe at Hinkley Point C in Somerset.
The successful candidate will play an influential role within the wider team, being responsible for a variety of electrically related elements of multi disciplinary projects in order to ensure delivery is completed on time, to cost, quality and safety standards.
This position will require the planning and delivery of complex construction tasks to achieve the job purpose objectives by implementing the following as appropriate for the work being performed:
- Advocate of site construction in the safe and effective planning of work
- Ensuring that conventional and nuclear safety considerations are recognised as essential to the success of the project and built into the planning processes.
- Ensuring that detailed plans are developed to a facility and or area basis which integrate co-ordinate and sequence work activities to achieve the optimum construction sequence paying particular attention to contractor interfaces.
- Looking ahead to identify risks and developing mitigating options in sufficient time so as not to impact the construction site performance.
- Developing plans which clearly identify site need dates for critical equipment and materials and implementing monitoring processes to give early warning of any threat or risk to meeting the need dates and developing mitigating actions in time to avoid any impacts to site activities.
- Implementing cross cutting reviews of work scope where the interfaces in areas are intersected by many difference contractors.
- Developing detailed access routes for personnel and equipment, identifying suitability of the access routes, impacts to other work activities and identification of temporary access openings for equipment installation.
- Fostering and promoting collaborative working with other teams, MDT team members and supply chain partners to achieve a "what's best for the project" outcome at the potential short term impact on an individual contract and ensuring full buy in with the program and project managers.
- Understanding the extent of engineering required to be delivered for a given scope of work, coordinating with the various entities delivering that engineering, and evaluating impacts on construction readiness when elements are missing or late.
- Construction readiness reviews on work scope packages based on complexity. Readiness review would be based around the construction sequence planning process and be conducted on a rolling wave basis based on a time scale and frequency commensurate with work scope complexity.
- Participating in the project gateway review process to ensure that packages that pass through are complete and will allow construction to complete the work scope efficiently.
- Implementing a construction build philosophy that recognizes the key approach of design by system, maximize productivity by bulk area build and transition to system completion for turnover.
- Maximizing the knowledge gained from lessons learned from previous projects and utilizing the project lessons learned programs for experiences from Flamanville 3 etc.
- Early team engagement providing construction input to supply chain contract conditions to ensure site conditions and requirements are included.
- Promoting the schedule development as a construction led and driven approach.
- Integrating the supply chain partner resources to maximize their expertise and skill set when developing the schedule and construction strategies to ensure schedule ownership and best practice implementation
- Taking a coordinated and holistic approach to the provision of common shared services such as scaffold, temporary HVAC and electrical services
- Recognizing the importance of other supporting activities such as laydown areas, and work area coordination for activities such as housekeeping and work face storage
- Recognizing the high quality standards of construction that will be required when constructing a nuclear facility and ensuring these are incorporated in the planning of work completion
Broad knowledge of electrical engineering design, procurement and construction will be needed, to include effective planning and activity integration. Due to the scale of the project, being able to influence and collaborate with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders is essential, as well as management and commercial awareness.
Previous nuclear experience would be a distinct advantage, but previous work within relevant scale conventional construction projects could be considered if highly competent in a range of the following areas:
- Understanding and awareness of working in a highly regulated environment
- Ability to operate within a diverse and high performing team
- Ability to work collaboratively and in an integrated team environment
- Motivational approach and the ability to energise team members by building a climate of trust and understanding
- Management of strategic planning developing construction sequencing and recovery plans
- Comprehension of scheduling methodologies and ability to follow logic within Work Breakdown Structures
- Good working knowledge of commercial principles affecting construction matters
- Ability to produce informative, concise reports
- Awareness of project change control and, risk management processes
- Good working knowledge in the delivery of large complex construction projects
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or Equivalent in Construction Management or related subject or a demonstrable level of experience based on years of experience and project assignments
- Working knowledge and/or experience of electrical systems supporting a nuclear reactor would be a key benefit
What's on offer
A salary commensurate with your level of relevant experience in the sector accompanies an extensive benefits package and the opportunity for significant career progression to include overseas deployments.
In addition to this you will gain experience on one of the most complex engineering projects in the UK and develop your technical and personal abilities in quick order.
How to apply
Please call Dan Parker directly on 02392 222 961 to discuss your suitability for the opportunity and its responsibilities and requirements in greater detail or contact me by email at email@example.com.
Astute Technical Recruitment Limited are acting as an employment agency in relation to this vacancy. We do not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and comply with all relevant UK legislation. We encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to work in the UK and Europe. Astute is also committed to the government's Disability Confident Employer initiative. We endeavour to get back to everyone, however, if you have not heard anything after 7 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.